Blessed with acres of forest and miles of easy-to-reach trails, a day hike at Kanuga is a convenient option for our guests. But you don’t have to be at Kanuga to enjoy a good day on a trail. Before venturing out, though, please keep these tips for day hikes in mind, courtesy of our environmental projects manager and avid hiker, Clint DeWitt.
“Don’t plan for the trip you’re expecting to take, plan for the trip that could happen,” DeWitt advises.
- Always tell someone where you’re going and how long you expect to be gone.
- Bring at least 1 liter of water per person.
- Take a map of the area, no matter how well you know the trail.
- Carry a rain jacket or extra layer, because you never know how the weather may change.
- Pack a field book or empty notebook so you can look up information and make notes of birds or other gifts of nature you discover along the way.
Several other helpful resources to consider for planning your next hike can be found online, such as: